The causes of swollen feet are many and varied, but could be divided into a few main categories:
- Activity-related – Sitting too long at your desk or on a plane, or standing long hours at work (checkouts or factory workers), can cause fluid to collect at the lowest point of your body.
- Injury or surgery related – When your body experiences trauma (damaged tendons, broken bones, incisions and tissue manipulation during surgery), it rushes extra fluids to the area to provide nutrients and fight off infection.
- Medical conditions – Some examples are heart and liver disease, poor valves in the veins in your legs, clots or blockages in the blood vessels, or kidneys that don’t excrete fluids properly.
- Hormonal changes – Swollen feet and ankles are common during pregnancy and your menstrual cycles, and hormone treatments like estrogen can also produce this symptom in women.
- Medications – Certain blood pressure meds, antidepressants, and steroids can increase your likelihood of edema.
We have many home care techniques (elevation, icing, massage) to reduce swelling, but visit Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists of Arizona for correct diagnosis so you can get treatment for the underlying cause as well. You can reach us in Gilbert, AZ at (480) 981-1800 or by calling our Chandler office at (480) 963-9000.