There are several ways to tell if your ankle is broken. Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Did it hurt severely at the moment the injury occurred?
- Is it tender when you just touch it?
- Is the area swollen?
- Has bruising discolored the skin?
- Does it look crooked or “out of place?”
- Is it impossible to put weight on it without a lot of pain?
If you answered yes to many of these questions, a fracture is likely. You won’t know for sure until you come in to Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists of Arizona for an x-ray, but even if it is a sprain and not a broken bone, you’ll still need prompt and effective treatment so the damaged ligaments can heal.
Ankle injuries—whether from a fall, an accident, or while playing sports or running—should never be ignored. Not healing properly increases your risk for arthritis, repeated injuries, or a chronically unstable ankle joint in future years. Give our podiatry practice in Metro Phoenix a call: in Chandler, AZ dial (480) 963-9000, and in Gilbert (480) 981-1800. Accurate diagnosis and effective treatment are our trademark services, and we can help you recover completely.