The 4th of July wouldn’t be the same without fireworks, so it’s good to know that Chandler, AZ has got it covered! Now you just need to start making your plans—and it’s definitely not too early!—for how you will spend the rest of the day. If you want to wear sandals without worrying about embarrassment on this holiday, then you need to know a little about how to prevent fungal toenails, especially if you’ve already had them!
One of the best steps for preventing fungal toenails from returning after an infection is to purchase new footwear. We realize, however, this is not always a feasible option, or perhaps you wish to keep your favorite pair of shoes. The good news is there are steps you can take to salvage them and decrease the risk of reinfection:
- Clean away any loose mold by brushing your shoes outside with a stiff brush.
- Begin washing the footwear with thick soapsuds—using a sponge with light pressure is the best practice—and follow by using a cloth soaked with diluted alcohol (1 cup of water and 1 cup of alcohol) to rinse them.
- Wipe the footwear with a damp, clean cloth.
- Dry your shoes completely with the use of a fan, electric heater, or blow dryer.
- After following the previous steps to clean your shoes, use both a water-repellant spray and an aerosol containing germicide or fungicide on a regular basis to keep them fungus-free.
Those steps can help to restore and maintain your shoes to a safe state, but give some thought to alternating between two different pairs on a daily basis. Doing so allows each pair 24 hours to dry completely before you put them on again, which helps decrease the risk of fungal growth.Even with the best preventative practices, there is still a chance that toenail fungus strikes. When this is the case, or if you would like additional information on how to prevent fungal toenails, contact Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists of Arizona. We have offices in two convenient locations to better serve you, so give us a call at (480) 963-9000 for our Chandler, AZ office or (480) 981-1800 for our Gilbert office. Even better, simply schedule an appointment with either office online today!