Can you imagine if the Phoenix Suns played a game in hockey skates? Or the Arizona Coyotes stepped onto the ice to finish their season in soccer cleats? Or if the U.S. national soccer team, who’s gearing up for this summer’s World Cup, tried to play their games in golf shoes? Specific sports have their own athletic shoes for a reason—they are designed to handle the stress and the movement of those individual activities.
The right footwear is actually quite important for your game. Footwear that fits incorrectly, or isn’t designed for your sport, can increase your risk for injuries and pain. Follow these tips when you need to invest in your next pair of sports shoes to help you choose the right pair:
- Look for footwear that is specifically designed for your sport.
- Have your feet re-measured before you try on any pairs to make sure you get the right size.
- Fit your footwear with the same kind of socks that you will use when you compete.
- If you use orthotics, make sure they fit into the model you pick.
- Try on pairs in the late afternoon or in the evening, when your feet are at their largest.
- Make sure the shoes are comfortable right away.
- Keep roughly half an inch of space between the tip of your longest toe and the end of the shoe.
- Your heel should not slip out of the back of the shoe when you take a step.
Your athletic shoes do matter. The right pair helps protect your feet from injuries and gives you the support you need for your activities. The wrong pair could cause problems whenever you try to play your sport. Invest in the right footwear now to try to prevent problems later. Contact Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists of Arizona for more information about shoes or to make an appointment to investigate foot pain. Fill out our online request form, call, or fax us to reach our two offices: call (480) 963-9000 and fax (480) 963-0375 for our Chandler office; call (480) 981-1800 and fax (480) 981-0229 for our Gilbert location.